Bridgerton has taken the world by storm, and we know you’re left wanting more! The sad reality, is that we all probably binged it in a day, leaving a hole in our hearts. And unfortunately, we do have a bit of time to wait until the second season… BUT the good news is that there are so many other amazing books, tv shows and movies set in England in the 1800’s.
When I saw Bridgerton in my recommendations, I knew I would immediately fall head over heals. The reason I became a writer is because I gravitated and connected so much with Pride and Prejudice (which is a recommendation all three categories). What makes these works of fiction so amazing is how ahead of their time they were, and the power women had.
So, want more Bridgerton? While we all wait for season two, here are my recommendations for tv shows, movies and books:
TV Shows Like Bridgerton:
- Pride and Prejudice (BBC) – Uh, two words. Colin. Firth. Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy? That’s all you need to know. Oh, and it’s a mini series… so, watch it!
- Victoria (BBC) – such a binge watcher! Victoria focuses primarily on the love story between Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, but intertwines all the politics that occurred as well. Definitely not a boring show. Also, the duo playing Victoria and Albert are together in real life!
- Downton Abbey – not necessarily taking place in the same time period, however it transitions from the 18th century into the 19th… it’s quite extraordinary and I just cannot recommend it enough!
- Harlots – Sex, drama, strong-will female characters. What more do you need!? This mid-18th-century London drama is bound to keep you on your toes and asking for more from the Wells family.
Books Like Bridgerton:
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austin – such a classic, and a must read if you are a Bridgerton fan. Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth are the gateway to romance in this time period!
- Emma, Jane Austin – Did you know Clueless is based off Emma? I didn’t know either until recently! This book is such a fun read, and who doesn’t love a Jane Austin romance?
- Bringing Down the Duke and A Rogue of One’s Own, Evie Dunmore – these two novels are from a collection called A League of Extraordinary Women. These romances are so hard to put down, are a bit steamy, and leaves you wanting more with every page you turn!
- Little Women, Louisa May Alcott – while this isn’t necessarily set in England in the 1800’s, it certainly does take place in the same time period. Set in the US, embark on a journey with the March sister’s and their road to love and the important of family.
- Pride and Prejudice (2005) – this is one of those movies I’ve watched probably a million times, and annoyingly quote when I force friends to watch it. Pride and Prejudice needs no explanation… if you love Bridgerton, watch this movie.
- Emma (1996 and 2020) – Emma has both an original, and a remake. Essentially, they both have the same story (duh) but if I could be honest, I did enjoy the 2020 adaptation a lot better.
- The Young Victoria – Step aside Will and Kate! Did you know Queen Victoria has one of the greatest and true royal love stories in English history? You won’t regret watching this romance between Queen Victoria and her husband, Prince Albert
- Little Women (2019) – I didn’t expect to love this as much as I did… but it is such a beautiful movie with an amazing cast!
- Becoming Jane (2007) – a love story about the queen of love stories. Becoming Jane follows the story of Jane Austin, and how her romantic endeavors created the plots for many of her classics.
We are so excited for season 2 of Bridgerton, and we hope this list helps you out until then!
Have you checked out our latest recipe? It makes for a cozy night in alongside all these amazing movies and TV shows!